- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 900 g oxtail, iced
- 2 onions, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 leek, sliced
- 100 ml port
- 2 carrots, peeled and each cut into 4 even-sized chunks
- 225 g frozen peas
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 parsnip, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 3 tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Marmite
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1.3 litres beef stock, or canned beef consommé
- freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g puff pastry
- eggs, beaten for glazing
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole dish and add the diced oxtail, browning the meat all over.
2. Add in the onions and leeks and fry gently for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add in the port, then the carrots, peas, celery, parsnip, tomatoes, tomato puree, marmite, sugar, oregano, and parsley. Season with freshly ground pepper.
4. Add in the stock mixing well, and bring to a simmer.
5. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours until the oxtail is soft and tender.
6. Ladle the oxtail soup into 4-6 ovenproof soup bowls and set aside to cool.
7. Preheat oven to 180°C/gas 4.
8. Roll out the pastry, cutting out 4-6 pastry lids, each slightly large than the soup bowls.
9. Place the pastry lids over the soup bowls and brush with the egg wash.
10. Bake for 12-15 minutes then serve hot from the oven.
Rate This Recipe