- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp water
- 125 ml white wine vinegar
- 2 parsnips, peeled and left whole
- 25 g butter
- 400 g puff pastry
1. Place the caster sugar, star anise, cinnamon stick and water in a pan. Bring to boil and cook until the syrup thickens and caramelises, turning a golden brown. simmer until it caramelises.
2. Add the vinegar, stir and reduce by half. Strain and set aside.
3. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add in the parsnips and cook until tender; drain and cool. Cut each parsnip into eighths lengthways, removing the core.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the parsnips and fry until browned. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
5. Line 4 blini pans with greaseproof paper. Place 2 spoonfuls of the caramel in each blini pan, then top with fried parsnip. Spoon over a little more caramel.
6. Roll out the puff pastry finely and cut out 4 discs, each large enough to cover a blini pan. Place the pastry over the parsnips, tucking the edges into each pan.
7. Bake for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden. Carefully turn out each parsnip tarte tatin onto a serving dish and serve at once with a green salad.
Rate This Recipe