- Serves: 12 long sticks or 20 short sticks
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g minced beef
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp coconut, grated
- 30 ml fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 75 g crunchy peanut butter
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- a little sesame or peanut oil, for cooking
For the beetroot chutney:
- 450 g onions, hopped
- 600 ml spiced white wine vinegar
- 1.5 kg cooked beetroot
- 450 g Granny Smith apples
- 450 g sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- naan breads
- soured cream and chive dip
1. To make the beetroot chutney, place the onions and vinegar in a non-reactive saucepan. Heat gently and bring to a simmer.
2. Mix in the beetroot, apple, sugar and sea salt and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer gently until the chutney thickens.
4. Pour into hot sterilised jars, cover with a waxed disc, cool and cover tightly. Store in a cool dark place, refrigerating once opened.
5. To make the satay, mix together the beef, ginger, lemon grass, garlic, curry paste, cumin, turmeric, grated coconut, fish sauce, sugar, peanut butter and breadcrumbs in a large bowl, mixing well.
6. Shape the mixture into small meatballs, each roughly the size of a large marble.
7. Divide the meatballs among 20 short or 12 long bamboo skewers, which have been soaked for at least an hour in water.
8. Preheat the grill and grill the meatballs for 5-10 minutes, turning often, until cooked through.
9. Serve the freshly grilled satay with the beetroot chutney, naan breads and sour cream and chive dip.
Rate This Recipe