- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus at least 2 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- pinches turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1.5 kg chicken, jointed
- 30 g plain flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- black pepper
For the peanut sauce
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 225 g peanuts
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- pinch of chilli powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 400 ml water
- 1 lemon, juice only
1. Mix the coconut water, shallot, ginger, turmeric, bay leaves and chilli flakes together, pour over the chicken and leave to marinate for 2-4 hours.
2. Put the chicken and the marinade in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Leave the chicken to cool in the liquid.
3. When the chicken has cooled, drain and dry on kitchen paper. Roll the chicken in flour.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until golden brown.
5. For the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan and fry the peanuts until golden. Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
6. In the same pan, fry the shallot, garlic, chilli and shrimp paste together for a few seconds.
7. Add the chilli powder, sugar, soy and water, and bring to the boil.
8. Stir in the nuts and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until thickened. Add the lemon juice and season to taste. Serve immediately with the chicken.
Rate This Recipe