- Effort: easy
- 550 g mussels, scrubbed
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 300 g squid
- 300 g scallops
- 300 g cooked and peeled prawns
- 1 red pepper, cut into fine strips
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into fine strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into fine ribbons
- 6 tbsp Italianextra virgin olive oil
- 2 unwaxed lemons, juice only
- tbsp capers, in vinegar drained
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100 g black Kalamata olives, in olive oil to garnish
1. Place the mussels in a large saucepan with a splash of water. Cover and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes or so, until all the shells are opened, shaking the pan frequently.
2. Remove the mussels from the pan with a slotted spoon, discarding any that remain closed. Reserve any cooking liquid. Remove the shells and place the flesh into a large bowl (reserve a few mussels in their shell for garnish).
3. Pour the water into a saucepan and add the reserved cooking liquid, onion and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
4. Add the squid and cook gently for approximately 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove the squid from the fish stock and set aside to cool. Slice into rings about 1cm thick.
5. Bring the fish stock back to the boil, add the scallops and gently cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
6. Add the squid, prawns, scallops, peppers and carrots to the bowl of shelled mussels. Dress with the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
7. Finally add in the capers, parsley and garlic. Mix well and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
8. Garnish with olives and the reserved mussels in their shells.
Rate This Recipe