- Serves: 8-10
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 x 25cm flan sponge cake
- orange liqueur, for drizzling
- 450 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 1 handful raspberries
- 300 g large strawberries
- 300 g mixed berries
- spun sugar, optional
Tips and Suggestions
To halve the sponge, use a sharp knife to slice a third of the way through then keep turning the cake and slicing through to get it as even as possible.
1. Cut the flan into a circle with a large metal circle pastry cutter and slice the sponge lengthways so you have 2 pieces to use as the top and the bottom of the cake.
2. Use the round-shaped pastry cutter to build your cake. Lay the bottom half of your flan in the pastry cutter and drizzle with orange liqueur.
3. Whip the cream with the vanilla seeds and raspberries until the cream thickens.
4. Halve the strawberries, making sure that they are all about the same size. Place around the edge of the tin, with the sliced sides facing outwards.
5. Add most of the mixed berries to the middle of the cake. Fill the cake shape with cream and smooth it off with a spatula then put the second sponge oval on top.
6. Warm the edges of the tin, with a kitchen torch or warm cloth, and release the whole cake.
7. Cover with icing sugar and then crosshatch with a hot metal skewer to create a lattice effect on top. Decorate with mixed berries and spun sugar.
Rate This Recipe