- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus setting
- Effort: medium
For the sauce
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 30 ml orange liqueur
- 120 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids finely chopped
For the custard
- 500 ml milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 60 g caster sugar
- 1.5 tbsp powdered gelatine
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 4 bananas
- 5 tbsp Irish cream liqueur
- 80 g pistachio nuts, chopped, to serve
1. To make the sauce; heat the cream and butter in a small pan until the butter has melted.
2. Whisk in the orange-flavoured liqueur and bring to the boil.
3. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate until the chocolate is melted and incorporated. Keep warm.
4. To make the custard; heat the milk in a pan over a medium heat until boiling.
5. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy.
6. As soon as the milk has boiled, pour it slowly over the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
7. Put the bowl over a pan of hot (not boiling) water and stir until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
8. Soak the gelatine in the cold water for a few minutes until spongy.
9. Add the gelatine to the hot custard, stirring well.
10. Stir in the mashed bananas and the Irish cream liqueur. Add more liqueur if a stronger taste is desired.
11. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes.
12. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
13. Fold the egg whites gently into the cooled custard.
14. Pour the mixture into a medium glass serving dish or 4 individual glasses and leave to set.
15. Just before serving; pour some of the chocolate orange sauce over the custard and sprinkle with pistachio nuts.
Rate This Recipe