- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg lamb chops, with bones attached, or mutton neck chops
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, and quartered, or 12 baby carrots, scrubbed and left whole
- 12baby onions, peeled, or 4 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 8 cloves garlic, whole, peeled
- 15 g butter
- 1 pinches salt and black pepper
- 600 ml lamb, chicken stock or water
- 12 potatoes, peeled
- 1 sprig rosemary, or a large sprig of thyme
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
1. Cut the chops in half, but don't take off the bones. Toss the meat in the olive oil and fry until golden brown in a hot casserole.
2. Remove the lamb and set aside while you tip in the onions, carrots and garlic. Stir and fry for a couple of minutes, before returning the meat to the pan.
3. Pour in the stock, and simmer, either in a preheated oven at 160°C/gas 2, or on the hob, until the meat is tender. This should take around 1 hour 30 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes after 30 minutes, and continue simmering the stew. Stir in the herbs and serve.
Rate This Recipe