- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
Italian Apple Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 185 g plain flour, sifted
- 120 ml milk
- grated zest of 1/2 lemons
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder, sifted
- 55 g butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tbsp stale breadcrumbs
- 1 kg apples
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 150 ml marsala
- grated zest and juice of half a lemons
- half a tsp vanilla extract
1. First make the Italian apple cake. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4. In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs until light and fluffy, adding the caster sugar gradually, then fold in the flour, milk, lemon zest and baking powder making a runny mixture.
2. Butter a 25 cm spring-form cake tin thoroughly, then dust with the breadcrumbs. Invert the tin to shake out all the loose breadcrumbs. Pour the cake mixture into the tin.
3. Top the cake mixture with the apple slices. Dot with the butter and sprinkle over with the light brown sugar.
4. Bake for 55 minutes until set.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack before removing from the tin.
6. Make the zabaglione just before serving the cake. Mix together the yolks, sugar and salt in a large, heatproof bowl. Using a wire whisk beat until the eggs are pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the Marsala wine, lemon zest and juice and the vanilla extract.
7. Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Whisk continuously until the mixture has doubled in volume and can hold its own shape.
8. Serve the zabaglione with the apple cake.
Rate This Recipe