- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus at least 12 hrs refrigeration
- Effort: medium
- 1.5 kg full fat ricotta cheese
- 12 large organic eggs, beaten
- 275 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pieces orange mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 2 pieces lemon mixed candied peel, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. Beat the ricotta until creamy. Gradually add the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract, mixing all the time. Stir in the candied peel.
3. Pour the cake mixture into a 25cm spring-form tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes - be sure not to open the oven during this time.
4. When ready, the cake will have high golden sides and the middle will still be creamy white. If the sides are not golden, cook for a further 15 minutes.
5. When the cake is cooked, leave it in the oven with the door slightly ajar for an hour. Then, remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack.
6. Line 2 flat plates with three sheets of kitchen paper. Loosen the cake from the tin by running a knife along the outside edge of the cake. Unspring the tin and flip the cake, topside down, onto one of the plates. Now, remove the tin and flip the cake, right side up, onto the other plate. Loosely wrap the cake in more kitchen paper.
7. Transfer to the fridge. The cake needs to stay in the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours for the paper towels to soak up all the moisture. You can leave it for up to 2 days, but you'll need to change the paper towels every 12 hours. The object is to soak all the moisture out. To change the paper, flip the cake over just as you did when you removed it from the tin.
8. To serve, remove the paper from the top of the cake and give it another flip. Cover with fresh paper and leave at room temperature for an hour. Turn the cake right side up onto a serving plate.
Rate This Recipe