- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 pinches fennel seeds, crushed
- 150 g Italian sausages, skin removed and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 75 ml double cream
- 300 g penne
- 500 g dried porcini, soaked (keep the soaking liquor)
- 400 g can chopped plum tomatoes
- pecorino stagionato, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan then gently fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the chilli and fennel seeds and fry for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the sausages to the pan with the garlic and fry for about 10 minutes until the sausages are browned. Once cooked, drain off the excess fat (if necessary).
3. While the sausages are browning, cook the penne in boiling salted water until just cooked.
4. Add a glug of the mushroom soaking liquid to the sausage pan along with the tomatoes and the soaked mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Drain the penne and add to the sauce. Leave on the heat and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the cream and mix together so all the ingredients are combined. Check seasoning and readjust if necessary.
6. Serve with a grating of pecorino.
Rate This Recipe