- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 long red peppers, such as romano
- 2 orange peppers
- 2 big beef tomatoes
- olive oil
- large onions
- cloves garlic
- 4 Sicilian sausages
- 2 cans chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 100 g pecorino cheese, grated
- 75 g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped pine nuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
For the salad
- handfuls cooked French beans
- handfuls cooked new potatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- sprinkle dried red chilli flakes
1. Slice the top off the tomatoes and the point off the peppers, then scoop the pulp out of the tomatoes and remove the seeds from the peppers. Set aside until needed.
2. Pour a splash of olive oil into a pan and fry the onion and garlic until caramelised.
3. Heat another pan and then squeeze the meat out of the sausage skins into the pan. Once the sausage has browned drain off the fat and add the meat to the onions.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat to cool.
5. Once cooled, add the pecorino and bread crumbs, followed by the chopped pine nuts, raisins and a pinch of chilli. Mix thoroughly.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
7. Take the sauce and stuff it into the peppers and tomatoes, and use toothpicks to secure the tip of the pepper and the top of the tomato. Drizzle everything with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the peppers are tender and cooked through.
9. Mix together all the salad ingredients, check the seasoning then serve with the stuffed vegetables.
Rate This Recipe