- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 minutes marinating time
- Effort: easy
- 8-10 pieces chicken, (leg, thigh, breast), skinned
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose seasoning, such as a Caribbean everyday seasoning (see Cook's tip)
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp chicken seasoning, or extra all-purpose seasoning
- 200-300 ml vegetable oil
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red peppers, seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 green peppers, seeds removed, chopped
- knob of butter
- cooked basmati rice, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Look for a Caribbean everyday seasoning from supermarkets and spice shops.
1. Rub the chicken all over with the lemon juice to remove all traces of the skin.
2. Put the chicken in a non-metallic dish and sprinkle with the salt, all-purpose seasoning, black pepper and chicken seasoning. Using your hands, rub the seasonings in to give the meat a good flavour, then cover and leave it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight, if you have time. (Be sure to wash your hands really well after touching raw chicken.)
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep flameproof casserole or saute pan with a lid until really hot.
4. Remove the chicken from the seasoning, reserving the seasoning mix. Add 4-5 pieces of chicken to the oil and fry gently for about 5 minutes on each side until the chicken is browned.
5. Remove the chicken from the casserole and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces. Carefully pour out most of the oil, leaving just 2 spoonfuls in the base.
6. Add the spring onions, onions, chilli, garlic and peppers and stir briefly. Return the chicken to the casserole with any reserved seasoning mixture. Pour in 450ml water, add the butter, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid is reduced to a rich gravy and the chicken is cooked through.
7. Serve with basmati rice.
Rate This Recipe