- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
For the marinade
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the curry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomato
- 425 ml water
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 banana
- 01/2 lemons, juice only
1. Skin the chicken, then spatchcock it and chop into pieces still on the bone.
2. Marinade in the allspice, curry powder and vegetable oil, preferably overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5. Heat half the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, garlic, curry powder and allspice for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a gentle simmer.
5. In another pan heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Season and flour the chicken. Fry the chicken pieces on both sides until golden brown.
6. Place the chicken pieces and the simmering tomato liquid into a casserole dish and bake in the oven for approximately 50 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
7. While the chicken is in the oven, chop a banana and marinate in the lemon juice.
8. Serve the chicken curry with the marinated banana.
Rate This Recipe