- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 4 hours marinating time
- Effort: medium
- 1.8 kg topside beef
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cm piece root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red or scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, green part only, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 sticks celery, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 150 ml beef stock, plus a little extra for topping up
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 10 small waxy potatoes, peeled
1. Wash the joint of beef, pat it dry with kitchen paper and put it into a non-reactive dish. With a sharp knife, make small, deep incisions all over the surface of the meat.
2. Grind the thyme, garlic, ginger, chilli and spring onions in a blender or mortar and pestle to a chunky paste. Push this paste into all the slits on the beef.
3. Combine the soy sauce, sugar and vinegar in a small bowl and rub the mixture all over the beef. Cover the meat and put it in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours, turning the joint every so often.
4. Lift the beef from the marinade and wipe away excess moisture or it wont brown. Reserve the leftover marinade. Season the meat all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole that has a lid and brown the meat on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan.
6. Add the onion and celery and cook on a medium heat until soft. Stir in the tomatoes, stock and any leftover marinade. Bring to the boil, replace the meat and lower the heat.
7. Partially cover the casserole with a lid and cook for 2 hours 5 minutes, turning the joint halfway through and topping up with a little extra stock, if needed.
8. Add the potatoes and carrots, replace the lid and cook for a further 40 minutes or until tender. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
9. To serve, slice the meat thickly and serve each person with beef, vegetables and some spicy sauce.
Rate This Recipe