- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- oil, for greasing
- 300 g dark chocolate, broken in pieces
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 50 g caster sugar
For the passion fruit mousse:
- 250 g mascarpone
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp double cream
- pulp from 3 passion fruit
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
3. Whisk the yolks with two tablespoons of the sugar until pale and light. Stir in cooled melted chocolate.
4. Whip the whites until they resemble soft peaks and gradually whisk in the remaining sugar.
5. Gently stir one-third of the whites into the chocolate mixture followed by the remainder. Transfer the cake mixture into the tin.
6. Bake for 20 minutes in the middle of the oven, until just firm to the touch. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out and transferring to a wire rack.
7. To make the passion fruit mousse, beat together all the ingredients. Serve with the cake.
Rate This Recipe