- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 litres chicken stock, or dashi
- 225 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp rice wine, or sake
- 2 cm piece ginger, bruised with a rolling pin, but still in one piece
- 225 g udon noodles, or soba noodles
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 5 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 225 g sugar snap peas, halved
Place the shredded chicken into a bowl with the rice wine and ginger and toss lightly to coat. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, drop in the udon noodles and stir to prevent them from sticking.
Bring back to the boil and cook for 3-5 mins, until the noodles are just tender. Drain in a colander and rinse under warm water. Divide the noodles between the serving bowls.
Pour the stock (or dashi), the mirin and soy sauce into a saucepan and bring to the boil, add the chicken and cook for two minutes, skimming away any impurities from the surface.
Add the sugar snap peas and continue to cook for one more minute, or until the chicken and sugar snaps are just cooked. Taste for seasoning add adding more soy sauce if liked.
Ladle the broth with some chicken and sugar snaps over the udon noodles in the bowls and sprinkle with some sliced spring onions to serve.
Rate This Recipe