- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours chilling
- Effort: easy
For the jellied bacon
- 2 kg unsmoked bacon collar
- 1 split calves foot
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 bunches celery
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 handfuls parsley, finely chopped
- white wine vinegar
For the potato salad
- 500 g Jersey Royal potatoes, cooked
- vinaigrette dressing, to taste
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp capers
- salad cream, to serve
1. For the jellied bacon: bring a pot of water to the boil and add the bacon, calves foot, onions, vegetables, and bay leaves. Simmer for 1-2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the stock.
2. Shred the bacon meat, then set aside. Pass the stock through a sieve lined with fine muslin, and pour over the meat to cover. Add the chopped shallots, garlic, thyme and parsley, then season to taste with salt, pepper and white wine vinegar. Transfer to the fridge and chill for 1-2 hours, or until set.
3. For the potato salad: mix the cooked potatoes in a large bowl with all of the other salad ingredients until well combined.
4. To serve, pile the potato salad onto serving plates and serve with slices of the jellied bacon.
Rate This Recipe