- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
- 2 chicken
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp allspice berries, freshly ground
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 bunches of spring onions, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 2.5 cm ginger
- 1 bunch of thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- buttered hard-dough bread, to serve
1. Using a food processor or a pestle and mortar, blend or crush the allspice berries, Scotch bonnet peppers, spring onions, onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, oil, water, sugar, salt and freshly ground pepper into a paste.
2. Toss the chicken quarters thoroughly with the marinade. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6 or heat a barbecue to cooking point. If using the oven, preheat a griddle pan until hot. Brown the chicken quarters on the griddle pan, transfer to a roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes until cooked through. If using a barbecue, cook the chicken pieces on it for around 40 minutes, turning often and basting with the marinade.
4. Serve with buttered hard-dough bread.
Rate This Recipe