- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, shredded
- 1 tsp garlic, shredded
- 300 g raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 600 ml hot water
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1. Heat the sunflower oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the cumin seeds.
2. When they change colour, add the onions, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
3. Add the prawns and fry until they turn opaque, around 2-3 minutes.
4. Stir in the rice and fry until it is shiny.
5. Mix in the turmeric, chilli, coriander, salt to taste and the tomato ketchup.
6. Pour in the hot water, cover the pan partially and cook until the rice is dry and fluffy, around 20 minutes.
7. Loosen the rice gently with a fork, sprinkle with the coriander and serve.
Rate This Recipe