- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
- 6 chicken breast fillets, skinned and cubed
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprig thyme
- juice of 1 lemons
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- black pepper
- 25 g butter
- 2 red peppers, sliced into strips
- 150 g button mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 150 ml red wine
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
For the courgettes:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 courgettes, sliced diagonally
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp fromage frais
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
For the couscous:
- 450 g couscous
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp raisins, soaked and drained
- 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained
- 8 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1. In a large bowl, mix together the cubed chicken, garlic, rosemary, bay leaves, thyme, lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, paprika and cumin. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover and marinate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil and the butter in a large casserole dish. Fry the chicken until lightly browned and cooked through, around 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat the remaining olive oil. Fry the red pepper, mushrooms and onion for 10 minutes.
4. Once the chicken is cooked through gently heat the brandy, pour it over the chicken and flambé it until the flames die down.
5. Add the red wine, stock, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and the fried red pepper mixture, mixing well.
6. Bring to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven to simmer or 25 minutes.
7. Now make the couscous. Place the couscous in a bowl. Add 600ml salted water. Drain the couscous, return to the bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the grains to absorb the moisture. Using a fork or your fingers, break up any lumps.
8. Steam the couscous in an oiled steamer for 20 minutes. Mix in the olive oil, raisins, chickpeas and chopped mint.
9. While the couscous is steaming prepare the courgettes, Heat the olive oil in a heavy frying pan. Fry the courgette, leek and spring onion for 10 minutes, until softened. Beat together the eggs and the fromage frais. Pour this into the courgette mixture. Cook, stirring now and then, until the egg is cooked, around 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Serve the chicken warm from the oven with the couscous and courgette mixture.
Rate This Recipe