- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 john dory fillets
- 210 ml water, chilled
- 1 egg
- 120 g plain flour
- 60 g cornflour
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the dipping sauce:
- 60 ml mirin
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml dashi, soup stock
- 2 tsp sugar
1. Put the water in the freezer for 10 minutes so that it becomes icy cold.
2. For the dipping sauce: in a small saucepan heat the mirin, soy sauce and dashi soup stock. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Bring to the boil, then set aside to cool.
3. For the tempura: put the flour, cornflour and salt into a bowl. With your fingers, make a well in the middle of the bowl, break in the egg and add the water.
4. Whisk all ingredients together until the batter has only a few lumps of flour left (don't over-mix or the batter will lose its crisp, fluffy texture).
5. Preheat a deep fat fryer to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds).
6. Dip the fish fillets in the batter and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
7. Serve the fish with the dipping sauce.
Rate This Recipe