- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the marinade
- 1 tsp ginger- garlic paste
- 1 tsp ajwain seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinches sea salt
For the John Dory
- 4 small fillets john dory
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- chervil leaves or coriander, for garnish
For the butternut squash soup
- 3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 small green chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g butternut squash, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 40 g sugar
- 50 ml dry white wine
- pinches garam masala
- pinches ground coriander
- 400 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 30 ml single cream, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- lightly crushed pink peppercorns, to garnish
For the greens
- 2 tsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper or red dried red chilli flakes
- 200 g baby spinach or leaves lettuce
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
1. For the marinade: mix together the ginger garlic paste, spices, lemon juice and salt. Coat the fish and put in a small casserole dish. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
2. For the butternut squash soup: heat the oil in a small saucepan, fry the ginger and chilli for a minute and add onions. Continue cooking for a further 3 minutes before adding the butternut squash. Cook for 3-4 minutes more.
3. Stir in the sugar, a little salt and pepper and the white wine; reduce the wine by half. Stir in the ground coriander and garam masala. Add the stock and cream and cook for a further 30 minutes.
4. Cool slightly and blend the soup with a hand blender until smooth. Stir in the cinnamon and pass though a fine sieve. Keep warm until required.
5. For the John Dory: preheat the oven to 220C/ gas 7.
6. Heat the oil in a pan, dust the fish with gram flour and fry skin-side down. Cook the fish for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is crisp. Flip the fish to the other side and fry for 1 minute. Finish in the hot oven for 2-4 minutes, depending on the size of the fillets.
7. For the greens: heat the oil in a pan and fry the garlic until light brown. Add the chilli flakes, spinach leaves and spices. Sauté lightly until leaves wilt. Season.
7. Put the greens in the middle of a deep plate, pour the soup around the greens and arrange the fish on top of the greens. Garnish with coriander or chervil leaves and crushed pink peppercorns.
Rate This Recipe