- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 125 ml milk
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Place the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and butter into a food processor, Blend together with the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
2. Pour into a bowl and stir in the milk to form a soft dough.
3. Shape the dough into small balls, roughly the size of a small kiwi fruit.
4. Heat 5cm of vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Fry the dough balls in batches until golden and cooked through, removing with a slotted spoon and draining on kitchen paper.
5. Serve the freshly-fried Johnny cakes with ackee and saltfish.
Rate This Recipe