- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 ml corn oil
- 225 g dried shrimps
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 450 g boneless stewing lamb, cubed
- 450 g chicken breast fillets, skin on, chopped into chunks
- 800 g long grain rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1500 ml stock or water
- 1 chilli
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skin left on and cut into small dice
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- whole roasted fish or grilled meats, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Dried shrimps can be found in Chinese or Caribbean food stores.
1. In a large iron pot or casserole dish, add 50ml of corn oil and heat to medium high. Add the dried shrimp and fry for 1 minute, then add the onion and fry, stirring often, until the onion is softened, around 5 minutes.
2. Using a wooden spoon or a blender, mash the onion and shrimp into a paste, making sure all the shrimps are mashed.
3. Add in the garlic and lamb and fry, with the shrimp paste, over medium heat until the lamb is browned.
4. Add in chicken, rice, salt, stock and the whole hot chilli. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender and the stock absorbed, around 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining corn oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add in the sweet potato and fry until browned and tender. Remove and keep warm.
6. Add the red, yellow and green pepper and the spring onion to the pan and fry until just tender, around 2 minutes.
7. Mix the sweet potato and the pepper mixture into the cooked rice mixture, adding more liquid if necessary, cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
8. Serve the jolloff rice with whole, roasted fish or grilled meats.
Rate This Recipe