- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the spice paste
- 1 stalks lemongrass, tough outer layer removed, finely chopped
- 3 slices ginger, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 10 shallots, chopped
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste, (balachan)
- 8 macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
For the beans
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400 g yard long beans, chopped into 4cm lengths
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
1. For the spice paste: put the lemon grass, ginger and garlic in a mortar and pound to a paste with the pestle. Add the chilli and continue to pound. Finally add the shallot, balachan and macadamia nuts and keep working until you have a smooth spice paste.
2. For the beans: heat the oil in a wok over a medium-high heat and fry the spice paste for 4-5 minutes until thick and fragrant.
3. Add the beans, fish sauce and sugar, and stir fry for another 4-5 minutes until tender but still with a bite. While stir-frying, keep splashing in a little water to create steam - about 100ml in all should do. At the end, the beans should be cooked, but not swimming in liquid.
Rate This Recipe