- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm discs
- 2 tbsp mixed peppercorns
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 500 g kangaroo loin fillet
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp butter
- natural yogurt, to serve
For the pineapple relish:
- 1 pineapple
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
Tips and Suggestions
1. Oil both sides of the sweet potato discs and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes on a BBQ, under a hot grill or on a griddle, turning occasionally.
2. Place the mixed peppercorns and thyme leaves in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt and grind together. Roll the kangaroo loin in the mixture to coat and allow to sit for a few minutes.
3. Place the griddled sweet potato into a foil parcel with a knob of butter and leave on the heat for a few minutes to steam.
4. Put the cumin seeds, cardamom pods and ground coriander in to a pan and dry roast over a medium heat for 2 minutes, then pound together in a pestle and mortar. Remove the cardamom husks. Add the mint and fresh coriander to the spices.
5. Open the foil parcels and remove the skin from the potatoes. Roughly chop the flesh and add the herbs and spices.
6. Drizzle the oil over the kangaroo and add to a frying pan, fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Add a knob of butter for the last minute then allow to rest for 5 minutes.
7. For the pineapple relish: Add the pineapple and chilli into a bowl, drizzle with the Japanese rice vinegar and mix together.
8. Spoon the sweet potato onto a serving plate. Arrange thick slices of the kangaroo meat on top. Place the pineapple relish on the side and garnish with fresh mint and coriander sprigs.
See more John Torode recipes.
Rate This Recipe