- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 450 g lean lamb, diced
- 2 tbsp za'atar spice mix, (Middle Eastern spice blend)
- Bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- Bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- black pepper
- 900 g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- cooked bulgur wheat, mixed with lemon and olive oil and chopped fresh parsley
- plain yogurt
1. Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 2-3 minutes, or until golden.
2. Add the diced lamb and fry for 2-3 minutes, until browned.
3. Pour in enough water to cover, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. When the meat has been simmering for 20 minutes, place the remaining olive oil in a separate frying pan, add the zahtar mix and cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the fresh herbs and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the herbs and spices to the meat and simmer for a further 40 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper, then add the rhubarb and cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve with cooked bulgur wheat and plain yoghurt.
Rate This Recipe