- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: hard
- 450 g kipper fillets, skinned, flaked, bones removed
- 350 g mashed potato, without butter or cream
- 1 tbsp chopped soft herbs, such as parsley, chervil and chives
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 115 g fresh breadcrumbs, for coating
- olive oil, for shallow-frying
For the tartare velouté:
- 375 ml fish stock
- 4 tbsp double cream
- dash of dry sherry
- 1 tbsp chopped gherkins
- tbsp chopped capers
- 1 shallot, sliced into fine rings
- pinch of lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tsp chopped chervil, or chives
For the herring salad:
- 4-6 fillets rollmop herrings, sliced
- a few leaves endive
- 1 tbsp chopped herbs, such as parsley, chives, chervil
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 01 pinches salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine the flaked kipper, mashed potato and herbs in a bowl, mixing well.
2. Shape into 12-18 cylinders with your hands.
3. Lightly dip in the flour, beaten eggs and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat to give a double coating. Place on a plate and chill.
4. To make the tartare velouté, simmer the fish stock over medium-high heat until reduced by about one third.
5. Stir in the cream and sherry, and simmer for another minute or so.
6. Stir in the gherkin, capers, shallot, lemon zest and herbs. Set aside and keep warm.
7. Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients until smooth and well-blended.
8. Combine the salad ingredients in a bowl. Spoon over just enough vinaigrette to coat.
9. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the kipper croquettes (fry in batches if necessary). Fry for 3-4 minutes in each side until golden. Drain on paper towels and transfer to a warm serving dish.
10. Serve immediately with the warm sauce and the herring salad.
Rate This Recipe