- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs chilling
- Effort: easy
- 2 kippers
- 1 hard-boiled egg, coarsely chopped
- 220 g very soft unsalted butter
- 1 pinches chilli powder
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- lemon wedges
- hot wholemeal toast
1. Immerse the kippers in boiling water for 8 minutes - this is easiest done in a tall jug, but a flat baking dish works fine.
2. Drain the kippers, remove the skin and carefully lift the flesh from the bones. Flake into the bowl of a food processor, removing remaining bones as you go.
3. Add the hard-boiled egg to the kippers with 150g butter. Add ground black pepper, the chilli powder and half the lemon juice and blitz until smooth.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more lemon juice if you like.
5. Divide between 4 100ml ramekins and tap to smooth the surface.
6. Melt the remaining butter and pour a little over the top of each pot to form a seal.
7. Chill for 2 hours and serve with lemon wedges and hot wholemeal toast.
Rate This Recipe