- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 ml milk
- 1/3 of a vanilla pods, split lengthways
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 g sugar
- 12 croissants, sliced lengthways
- 200 g mixed red berries
- 100 ml kir
- icing sugar, sifted, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Heat together the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. Meanwhile, place the yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk vigorously until thick and creamy.
4. Add the boiling milk to the yolks, mixing well as you do so.
5. Pour the milk mixture to a clean pan. Gently cook it over a very low heat, stirring the milk mixture continuously with a wooden spatula. Do not bring to the boil or the mixture will curdle. Cook stirring until the mixture thickens into a custard or crème Anglaise and clings to the spatula. Strain through a fine sieve.
6. Layer the sliced croissants and orange slices in a buttered ovenproof dish.
7. Pour over the crème Anglaise. Drizzle over the kir.
8. Bake the pudding for 40 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with icing sugar and grill or glaze with a cook's blow-torch until the sugar caramelises. Serve.
Rate This Recipe