- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes plus cooling time
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pavlovas
- 2 egg whites
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 50 g golden caster sugar
For the topping
- 300 g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp crème de cassis
- 300 ml carton double cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
Tips and Suggestions
Raspberries are a good substitute for the strawberries, or try thawed frozen mixed summer fruits.
The pavlovas can be made 2-3 days ahead. Store them in an airtight tin until you're ready to add the topping.
1. For the pavlovas: preheat the oven to 120C/fan 100C/gas 1/2. Line a large baking sheet, or 2 small ones, with baking parchment. Draw 8 heart shapes, about 9cm long, on the paper using a pencil. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Whisk in the granulated sugar a spoonful at a time, beating between each addition until the mixture is thickened and glossy.
2. Carefully fold in the caster sugar a third at a time using a large metal spoon. Spoon the mixture into the heart shapes on the baking sheet and gently spread to fill each shape. Bake for 1-11/4 hours or until crisp. Turn the oven off, leave the meringues in there for 15 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
3. For the topping: tip the strawberries, icing sugar and cassis into a bowl and lightly crush with a fork, keeping the fruit in little pieces. Set aside briefly to marinate and for the juices to mingle.
4. When ready to serve, whip the cream to soft peaks. Put a spoonful of cream in the centre of each pavlova, then spoon over a little of the fruit and juice. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with any remaining fruit and juice offered separately.
Rate This Recipe