- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus at least 30 mins infusing
- Effort: easy
- 16 kiwi fruit
For the syrup:
- 275 g sugar
- 400 ml water
- 40 g ginger
- pared rind of 2 limes
- 5 tbsp honey
- lime sorbet or ginger ice cream, to serve
1. To make the syrup, place the sugar and 50ml of water in a heavy-based pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup turns a golden caramel colour.
2. Brush down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water a couple of times as it is boiling. This helps reduce the chance of the caramel crystallizing.
3. Remove from the heat and slowly add the rest of the water. Be careful as this may spit and splutter.
4. Return to the heat and simmer just until all the caramel has dissolved. Take off the heat and add the peeled ginger, lime rind and honey. Set aside to infuse for at least 30 minutes.
5. Peel the kiwi fruit and slice or cut into wedges.
6. Ten minutes before serving, marinate in the lime and ginger syrup.
7. Serve with lime or ginger ice cream.
Rate This Recipe