- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 350 g fresh squid, cleaned, or frozen
- 1 kiwi fruit
- 1-2 Thai red chillies, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 limes, juice only
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
1. Tip the prepared squid into a shallow bowl.
2. Peel the kiwi fruit and mash with a fork. Add to the squid, along with the prepared Thai chilli and lime juice. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours - better still, leave in the fridge overnight, turning occasionally.
3. About 20-30 minutes before cooking, lift the squid out of the bowl and mix with the coriander, olive oil, garlic and seasoning.
4. If you like your food chilli-hot, add a second sliced chilli, but if a mild tingle is quite enough for your tastebuds, leave it out. Leave in a cool place until ready to cook.
5. Preheat a griddle pan or cast-iron frying pan Lay the pieces of squid on the hot pan - if they are small, turn them over as soon as you have got them all on the grill. Larger ones should be left for about 20-30 seconds before turning. Give them 10-20 seconds, over a moderate heat, on the other side and then lift off and serve immediately with lime wedges. Accompany with a rocket, tomato and orange salad, and crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe