- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the kohlrabi gratin
- 3 kohlrabi
- 600 ml whipping cream
- 0.5 head garlic
- 1 pinches black pepper
For the beetroot hash
- 4 medium beetroot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, Cara, cut into 2cm dice
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
For the cabbage parcels
- 1 Savoy cabbage
- 150 ml water
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 5 sprig thyme
- 1 pinches black pepper
1. First prepare the beetroot hash. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Place the beetroots in a roasting tray, toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast the beetroot for 1 hour, until tender. Cool and cut into 2cm dice.
3. While the beetroot is baking, prepare the kohlrabi gratin. Peel and finely slice the kohlrabi, ideally with a mandolin.
4. In a pan bring the whipping cream to the boil with the half bulb of garlic. Remove the garlic.
5. Butter a gratin dish or small, deep baking tray. Layer the kohlrabi slices in the dish, seasoning each layer with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Pour a little of the boiled cream over after every three layers of the kohlrabi.
7. Cover with kitchen foil and bake alongside the beetroot at 200C/gas 6 for 30 minutes.
8. To make the cabbage parcels, pick 4 large outer leaves from the Savoy cabbage. Blanch the leaves for 2 minutes in a pan of boiling water, drain, then refresh in cold water. Cut out the tough stalks and pat dry with kitchen paper.
9. Slice the remaining Savoy cabbage and cook in a heavy-based saucepan with the water and butter for 4 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for a further minute. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
10. To assemble, lay each blanched cabbage leaf on a square of cling film. Put the cooked cabbage in the middle of each cabbage leaf and pull the corners of cling film together. Create a ball in your hand and tie a knot with the cling film at the base of the ball.
11. Bring a pan of water to a simmer, add in the cabbage parcels and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the cling film and place each parcel on a warm serving plate.
12. Meanwhile, complete the beetroot hash, blanch the diced potato in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain well.
13. In a non-stick pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Add in the shallot then add the diced beetroot and potato. Fry for 2 minutes, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
14. To serve, cut a portion of kohlrabi gratin for each serving and place on the plate alongside the cabbage parcel with a generous spoonful of the freshly fried beetroot hash.
Rate This Recipe