- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hours marinating
- Effort: medium
- 4 beef short ribs, about 800g of meat including the bone
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 g fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp roasted crushed sesame seeds
- 1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- red leaves lettuce, to serve
For the Ssam Jang sauce
- 40 g Korean chilli paste, called gochujang
- 60 g Korean soy bean paste, called dwenjang, if you cant find this, use red miso
- 25 g chopped spring onions
- 30 packets mirin
- 5 g sesame seeds
- dark sesame oil
For the Korean sticky rice
- 1 cup short grain Korean rice
Tips and Suggestions
To eat, take a lettuce leaf, put a little scoop of sticky rice, a little ssam jang and a piece of kalbi. Wrap up and eat!
1. Cut the meat into 2 inch slices, and trim any excess fat. Remove bones and discard or reserve for another use. In a large bowl, mix the meat in with the sugar with your hands, massaging the sugar in thoroughly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the meat from the bowl, shake off any excess sugar and place in another large bowl. Discard the sugary water that has seeped from the meat. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, again massaging in the ingredients with your hands. Let marinate for 1-2 hours.
3. Heat a grill pan or skillet over very high heat. Cook the beef, working in batches to not overcrowd the pan. Cook until well browned on the bottom and caramelised markings appear, 1-2 mins. Flip over and cook the other side, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately with Ssam Jang sauce, Korean sticky rice and red lettuce leaves.
4. For the Ssam Jang sauce: mix all sauce ingredients together. Put in a small bowl and serve with kalbi.
5. For the Korean sticky rice: wash the rice with cold water 3 or 4 times, rinsing and draining the starch out.
6. Cook the rice in a rice cooker using 1.1 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. When cooked, fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Rate This Recipe