- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g rindless back bacon, sliced
- 125 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and finely sliced
- 125 g courgettes, grated
- 12 eggs
- 80 ml double cream
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 30 ml oregano, finely chopped
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
For the tomato chutney:
- 2 kg tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- zest of 2 lemons, grated
- 750 g brown sugar
- 8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 ml dry red wine
1. Place all the ingredients for the chutney into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until all the sugar dissolves. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of jam
2. Pour into hot, sterilised, jars and cool.
3. Set the oven to 180°C/gas4. Pour the oil into an ovenproof frying pan and fry the bacon until crisp, add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
4. Add the pepper slices and courgettes, and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, and the remove from the heat.
5. Beat together the eggs, cream, mustard, lemon juice, and oregano, then season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
6. Pour into a pan, transfer to the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Serve the kuku in slices and serve with the tomato chutney.
Rate This Recipe