- Serves: Makes 1 large or 3 small cakes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hrs rising
- Effort: medium
- 500 g plain flour
- 10 g salt
- 90 g sugar
- 90 g butter
- dashes of vanilla essence
- 90 g fresh yeast
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 eggs
- milk, to mix
- 90 g blanched flaked almonds, plus a handful for decoration
- 90 g sultanas
For the lemon icing:
- icing sugar
- grated lemon zest
- water, to mix
1. In a mixing bowl, empty the flour, salt, sugar, butter, vanilla, yeast, orange zest, lemon zest, eggs, flaked almonds and sultanas. Be careful to keep the salt and yeast on separate sides. Blend the ingredients together with a little milk.
2. Bring the ingredients together and slowly add more milk, mixing with your hands as you do so, until the mixture becomes soft and smooth.
3. Knead the mixture on a flour-dusted working surface making a smooth, pliable dough.
4. Return the dough to the mixing bowl and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
5. Line 3 small-ish flowerpots, or a deep cake tin, with baking parchment.
7. Divide the dough into 3 and shape each portion so that it fits into a flowerpot. Set aside to rise for a further hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
9. Bake the dough in the flowerpot for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool and then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to finish off.
10. Make the lemon icing by mixing together the icing sugar and lemon zest with enough water to make a smooth thin icing.
11. Ice the cooled cake with the lemon icing and sprinkle the remaining flaked almonds on top.
Rate This Recipe