- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 400 g pitted dates
- 300 ml lager or beer
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 400 g plain flour
- 50 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Place the dates in a bowl. Bring the beer to the boil in a pan and pour over the dates, adding in the bicarbonate of soda. Set aside to cool.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, rub the butter into the flour until absorbed. Mix in the sugar.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add the whisked egg to the flour mixture.
5. Fold in the cooled date mixture, mixing well together.
6. Grease and line a used double-sized plum tomato tin (discarding the lid). Turn the mixture into the tin.
7. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes until risen and set.
Rate This Recipe