- Serves: 1 jar
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only, sliced
- 6 dried chillies, soaked and chopped
- 4 candlenuts or macadamia nuts, crushed
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 6-8 Vietnamese mint, (Laksa leaves)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
Tips and Suggestions
Lemongrass, galangal, laksa leaves and belacan (pronounced bluch-unn) are available from helpful supermarkets and Oriental food stores. If you can't find galangal, double the grated ginger to 2 tbsp. If you can't find laksa leaves, simply leave them out.
1. Add the ingredients for the paste to a heavy mortar, pounding with a heavy pestle in between each addition or alternatively, pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles a thick, fragrant paste. If using a food processor, add 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil to keep the mixture loose.
2. Transfer the mixture to a screw-topped jar and store.
Rate This Recipe