- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1.3333333333333333 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the filling
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- small bunch thyme, chopped
- small bunch rosemary, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g diced lamb
- 75 g butter
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 20 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100 ml port
- 100 ml lamb stock
- 200 g stilton cheese
- pinches ground mace
For the pastry
- 175 g shortcrust pastry
- 2 eggs, beaten
1. To make the filling, combine the flour, thyme and rosemary together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss with the lamb and shake of any excess.
2. Melt the butter in large saucepan and fry the lamb for 5 minutes or so, until browned. Remove from the pan and set aide.
3. Add the carrot and onion to the pan and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
5. Return the lamb to the pan and add the port and lamb stock. Bring to boil and cook for 30 minutes, over a moderate heat.
6. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
7. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8. Fold in the cheese and mace.
8. Roll half of the pastry out and line a 25cm pie plate; spoon the filling over. Roll the remaining pastry out to form a lid.
8. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Serve hot, with vegetables as desired.
Rate This Recipe