- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 4hr marinading
- Effort: easy
For the marinade and meat
- 500 g neck lamb fillet, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp olive or mustard oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp garam masala
1. For the marinade and meat: Combine the meat with all the marinade ingredients and a teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
2. Mix well, cover and leave in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
3. For the sauce: Pour the oil into a pressure cooker and set it over a medium heat. When its hot, add the sugar and stir occasionally as it dissolves.
4. Add the onion and sauté for 30 seconds, then stir in the garlic and ginger. Fry for 10 minutes, or until the onion is browned.
5. Spoon in the chilli powder and mix well. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute, then add the meat and its marinade. Brown the meat well on all sides for 7 minutes. The tomatoes and meat will release plenty of juices. Mix, then seal the lid.
7. Heat to full pressure. Reduce the heat to very low and cook under pressure for 20 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to drop by itself. Open the lid and return the pan to a high heat. Bring to a boil and add the garam masala.
10. Stir for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce, until it is thick and the oil separates, then serve.
Rate This Recipe