- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 30 mins resting
- Effort: easy
For the triple-cooked potato wedges
- 4 large rooster or maris piper potatoes
- groundnut oil, for frying
For the lamb burger
- 600 g minced lamb, not too lean
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp toasted coriander seeds, very finely ground
- ½ tsp toasted cumin seeds, very finely ground
For the feta salad
- 75 g feta cheese
- 2 tsp chopped mint
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- ½ red onions, very finely sliced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the cumin mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and roughly crushed
- 4 sourdough rolls or white bread roll
- 4 slices beef tomatoes
- handfuls rocket
1. For the wedges: leaving the skins intact, cut the potatoes into wedges as even-sized as possible. Put them into a bowl under cold running water and then leave them in the bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes. Bring a large pan of unsalted water to the boil and add the potatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes - the potatoes should be tender to the point of a knife; take care not to overcook them.
3. Remove the potatoes from the water and place them on a tray lined with kitchen paper. Allow to cool slightly and then leave in the fridge until completely cooled.
4. For the lamb burger: mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, but do not season with salt at this stage as it will draw out the moisture. Using your hands, make the mixture into 4 patties and leave to rest on a plate in the fridge for at least half an hour.
5. Heat a deep fat fryer to 130C/250F - do not leave the fryer unattended. Add the wedges and cook for about 5 minutes when they should look dryer, but should not have browned. Carefully remove the chips and leave to cool completely again, on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
6. When the chips are cool, turn up the fryer to 180C/350F. Add the chips and cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove the chips from the fryer, drain well on kitchen paper and season with plenty of sea salt.
7. Heat a griddle pan to smoking hot.
8. For the feta salad: mix together all the ingredients in a bowl with enough olive oil to lightly bind everything together. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
9. For the cumin mayonnaise: stir the cumin seeds into the mayonnaise in a small bowl.
10. Cook the burgers on the hot griddle for about 2-3 minutes on each side - the burgers should be warm in the middle, but a little pink and moist.
11. Serve the burgers in sourdough rolls or burger buns topped with a tomato slice and a little rocket - with the wedges, feta salad and mayonnaise on the side.
Rate This Recipe