- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the sauce
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 100 g butter
- 25 ml red wine
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 300 ml lamb stock, or jus
- 100 g cooked ham, cut into thin strips
- 50 g gherkin, cut into thin strips
- 50 g cooked beetroot, cut into thin strips
- 1 hard-boiled egg, shredded white only
For the lamb
- 1x6 bone rack of French-trimmed lamb
- knob of butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20 g plain flour
1. For the sauce: lightly fry the shallots and garlic in most of the butter, then add the red wine, vinegar and redcurrant jelly and cook over a high heat to reduce by half.
2. Add the tomato purée, cook for a minute or so, then pour in the stock, boil to reduce slightly, and season.
3. Add the strips of ham, tongue, gherkin, beetroot and egg white to the sauce. Stir in the remaining butter and remove from the heat.
4. For the lamb: remove all fat from the rack of lamb, cut into cutlets and slightly flatten with a mallet.
5. Season the lamb cutlets. Heat the butter and oil in a pan over a medium heat and gently fry the cutlets until golden on each side. Serve the sauce around the lamb cutlets.
Rate This Recipe