- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the curry paste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 lemon, juice only
For the jalfrezi
- 900 g escalopes of lamb, cut from the leg, cubed
- ghee, (clarified butter) or vegetable oil, for cooking
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cm ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- bunches coriander, chopped
1. Mix all the ingredients for the curry paste in a bowl.
2. Coat the meat with the curry paste and set aside.
3. Heat enough ghee to cover the bottom of a frying pan and set over a high heat. Fry the lamb until browned all over. Reduce the heat and cook for 5-10 minutes.
4. Heat about 2 tbsp more ghee or oil in separate saucepan and fry the onions until golden brown.
5. Add the garlic, ginger, chillies, cumin, fenugreek, ground coriander, tomatoes and tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
6. Stir in the lamb and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, until the meat is tender. Scatter with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice.
Rate This Recipe