- Serves: Makes 16 skewers
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus draining
- Effort: easy
For the koftas
- 800 g minced lamb
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice berries
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves, chopped
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the raita
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 450 ml plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small buch of mint, chopped
1. Soak the skewers in hot water for 30 minutes. Place the lamb in a large bowl - add the egg, garlic, spices, coriander, seasoning, and olive oil. Mix well and set aside.
2. For the raita, place the cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave to drain for about one hour. Pat dry with kitchen paper and place in a bowl with the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice, oil and chopped fresh mint.
3. With moist hands, shape the lamb into little sausage shapes and push onto the skewers.
4. Brush with oil and cook on a hot or barbecue for two to three minutes on each side, turning regularly until golden and cooked.
5. Serve warm with the cucumber and yoghurt raita.
Rate This Recipe