- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus soaking
- Effort: medium
- 120 g chickpeas, soaked for several hours
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1.6 kg neck-end lamb chops
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pink grapefruit
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 260 ml fruity white wine
- black pepper
1. Drain the chick-peas, rinse well and put in a saucepan with the bay and rosemary. Cover generously with cold water and bring to the boil. Skim and then simmer for 45-60 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, season the chops with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large non-stick fryng pan. Add the lamb and sear over high heat until well coloured on both sides. Remove from the pan and drain in a colander set over a plate to catch the drips.
3. In the same pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the onions for about 10 minutes until golden brown. Set aside in a colander to drain.
4. Heat the remaining oil and fry the mushrooms for 7-10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add these to the colander with the onions.
5. Prepare the grapefruits: using a swivel peeler, shave away a thin outer layer of rind from two of the fruits. Cut the rind into 5 x 50mm strips and set aside.
6. Next, with a very sharp knife, cut a horizontal slice from the top and bottom of all three fruits. Remove the rest of the peel, including the white pith, by cutting downwards following the contours of the fruit.
7. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut down between the flesh and the membrane of each segment and ease out the flesh, removing any pips. Set aside the segments. Squeeze the remaining membrane over the bowl to extract the juice.
8. Put the reserved grapefruit shreds in a small saucepan with water to just cover. Bring to the boil, then drain. Repeat this process three times. Put the grapefruit shreds back in the pan, and add the caster sugar and just enough water to cover. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the liquid is quite syrupy.
9. While the grapefruit is cooking, preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
10. Place the lamb, onions and mushrooms in a flameproof casserole. Add the garlic, chick-peas, grapefruit juice, cooked grapefruit shreds and syrup, white wine and seasoning. Bring to a gentle simmer, then loosely cover and place in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until tender.
11. Blot up any grease that has risen to the surface. Scatter the grapefruit segments over the top and serve piping hot.
Rate This Recipe