- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- dashes of olive oil
- 4 lamb's kidneys, trimmed of any membrane and core removed
- 4 slices bread, from a bloomer loaf
- 200 g samphire, (available from farmers markets and gourmet shops)
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp green cardamom, pods
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the lambs kidneys for 2 minutes.
2. While the lambs kidneys are cooking, toast the bread in a toaster or under a hot grill.
3. Blanch the samphire in a pan of boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Drain well in a colander, stir in half of the butter and keep warm.
4. Stir the remaining butter into the pan with the kidneys and turn the kidneys over. Add the ground turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, red chilli and bay leaf. Stir well and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Serve the samphire on toast, topped with the kidneys. Discard any whole spices and then pour the pan juices on top.
Rate This Recipe