- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200 g flat mushrooms
- 1 parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 450 g shin beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 300 ml beef stock
- 300 ml beer
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 100 g finely grated cheese
- 300 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 head kale, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole and gently fry the onion, mushrooms, parsnip and carrot for 4-5 minutes. Add the tomato purée, stirring well to mix, then cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the beef, stock, beer and sugar. Cover the casserole with a lid and place into the oven to cook for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
4. Meanwhile, make the topping by mixing together the cheese, breadcrumbs and butter.
5. After the beef has been cooking for two hours, add the shredded kale and mix through. Sprinkle over the topping mixture and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
Rate This Recipe