- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes or 2 hours 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 40 g dripping, plus extra for brushing
- 8 lamb or mutton chops, (middle neck or shoulder, on the bone, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 750g-1 kg potatoes, sliced
- 4 lamb's kidneys, sliced
- 500 ml lamb or chicken stock
1. Melt the dripping in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and brown the chops on both sides. Remove and set aside. Reduce the heat and fry the onions in the dripping for about 10 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190C/ 170C fan/gas 5.
3. In a large casserole dish, place a layer of potatoes, then a layer of chops, onions and kidney slices.
Season and repeat until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of potatoes. Pour in the stock, then brush the top layer of potatoes with a little melted dripping.
4. Cover the casserole with foil and then the lid. Cook in the oven for two hours. Remove the lid and cook for 20-30 minutes until the top is brown and crisp. Serve.
Rate This Recipe